Jun 22, 2011

Why are you living in the Republic of Macedonia?

I get this question all the time.  Why would you choose to live in a developing country instead of America, "the land of opportunity".  The easy answer to this question is, the same reason you ended up on my blog: curiosity.  I was more curious than anything, about what would be like to live in a different country.  I can always come back to the US; but when will I ever have the opportunity, to really learn a different culture. 

I feel that more than anything, America has left me without culture or tradition.  What I have is limited to my Italian background, from my mother's side, fast food, favorite television programs and working too much.  Yeah, so I'm a little unappreciative of all that America has to offer; but since I've met my husband to be, a native of Macedonia, I've learned that there is more to life than what I've experienced thus far.  Love, happiness, and family, are only a few to mention.  These aren't new concepts to me, I only forgot temporarily, what they truly stood for. 

I don't understand why that all feels different here.  It just does. All visits and socialization, in general, are appreciated by anyone and everyone, friends or family.  I am always greeted with a smile, good conversation, turkish coffee, and definitely food.  It's not uncommon for people here to just stop by for a cup of coffee or just to say hi and it's not discouraged for you to do the same.  When walking in the streets, it's customary to say hello, good afternoon, or good evening, whether they know you or not. 

The food here is like nothing I've ever had, the flavor, the aroma, the experience. It's all combined to make dining undeniably the best part of living in Macedonia.  Rarely are meals served from frozen or preserved food.  Meat and vegetables are bought daily, prepared by scratch and served on the table as a family.

It seems to me, that I had forgotten about these simple pleasures and it feels good to have them again if at all.  So, that's the simple and short of why I choose to live in the Republic of Macedonia with my husband instead of the US.   

No comments:

Post a Comment