Jul 9, 2011

How I learned to speak Macedonian

Interested Readers:
I'm happy for your curiosity in wanting to learn how to speak Macedonian, a language spoken by only 2.5 million people.  It was always my life long dream to learn a foreign language; and although I haven't fully mastered Macedonian, I can say that I can hold a conversation reasonably well.  After only 6 months of self study, I learned to speak Macedonian.  When I first started studying Macedonian my fiance, at the time boyfriend, was so excited that I wanted to learn Macedonian.  He thought I was doing it for him, but really, I was so frustrated that I couldn't understand anything him and his friends were saying.  I had a hell of a time trying to find software to learn Macedonian.  Not many well known language software companies, ie. Rosetta Stone, make software for a language spoken by only 2.5 million people.

1.  But I did find, "Talk Now! Macedonian"from Amazon.  I even had it shipped out to Afghanistan while I was working there.  I have to say, I really liked this software, it was very user friendly and actually kind of fun.  It has some fun memory games that helped to build my vocabulary.  I used the ipod accessory as well, and would practice while I exercised.  They give you certificates for each level, Bronze, Silver, Gold.  I never obtained the Gold because I left the CD in a work computer and it was lost forever.  Which leads to the only problem I had with this program:

Con's:
  • Every time I wanted to use it, I had to load the CD in my computer.  I couldn't just install it once, and discard the CD.  That was annoying for me.  
  • And they do not provide replacement CD's, unfortunately. 



2.  Moving on to my second purchase. "Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students", by Christina E. Kramer.  This book was okay.  It really breaks down all the grammar in the Macedonian language, but it bothered me that I couldn't hear how the words were pronounced and got bored really quick with it, because there was no interaction.  So, I looked for a better book alternative. 

3.  One that could also provide accompanying audio.  I found and purchased "Book2 English - Macedonian: A Book in 2 Languages for Beginners."  This was a much better alternative because it provides phrases for everything you need to know, in any sort of situation.  And while you memorize these phrases, you learn the grammar.  It's like killing two birds with one stone.  I liked this book better, it has a website that allows you to hear how everything sounds, and you can also download the phrases to an ipod or portable media player or computer, or whatever you want to listen to it on. 


4.  However, I still wasn't satisfied with this purchase, because I missed the computer interaction I had with "Talk Now! Macedonian".  I wanted the best of both worlds, so I researched a software that would allow me the interaction, ability to make my own phrases to memorize, and be able to download it on my portable device of choice.

3.  Enter: "Byki Deluxe Software" memorization software program.  This program allowed me to memorize phrases and words crazy fast.  I don't know how, but it's the same type of learning as Rosetta Stone, where it ties visual learning, interactive audio, along with algorithms to determine what phrases you need to practice more, based on how many times you get it wrong.  Only problem, you must be honest with yourself.  Like the website says, it makes language learning really addictive.  I turned into Pavlov's Dog at the opportunity to show people new words or phrases I learned each day. 
You can purchase Byki deluxe 4 on Amazon or from the website www.byki.com.

And that's all I did to master a foreign language in just  6 months.  Okay, maybe not master, but I can speak pretty well, if I'm not too nervous.  And for some strange reason, I speak really well when I'm drinking alcohol, not sure why?  Good luck to whoever reads this!!!

3 comments:

  1. Bojan Trajkovski & Paula CooperApril 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

    Thanks for your unselfishness and sharing all these tips for learning Macedonian. I am sure this will help her when learning the languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am going through the same thing as you right now. Getting frustrated at not knowing what every one else is saying. I had found talk now and have started on that, but it has only been 2 days so far but I have managed to get 50/50 on the first two subjects.
    Thanks for you post, it has been inspiring.

    ReplyDelete